[Wine] Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum

DarthCthulhu wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 25 23:24:03 CST 2011

[quote="jjmckenzie"]On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM, DarthCthulhu <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> The simple answer here is NO. The Noveau drivers for nVidia and
> AMD/ATI do not support higher level 3D functions needed to support
> Wine.

glxinfo reports that the card supports OpenGL 2.1, though I suppose that could be lying; I understand that sometimes driver writers say they support something even when they don't simply because the function is so rarely used that it's not worth having programs fail because it's not fully implemented.

As I said, other much more recent and complex games run well. It struck me as odd that a game as old as RTC3 would not work with more recent ones would.

> And because a Video card can support a program under
> WindowsXP/Vista/Seven does not mean that corresponding video
> functionality exists in Linux, either Open Source or Proprietary.
>
> James

I'm quite aware, thus why I checked glxinfo first to make sure everything was kosher. It was.

Regardless, it seems like the program cannot be run without the proprietary driver. Unfortunate, but oh well.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.