[Wine] Re: wine1.3.28 broken msvcp90.dll

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Oct 10 06:45:36 CDT 2011

AsgrimTheMighty wrote:
> Hey - that worked! I do recall doing that previously when it broke. Would this deadbeef manifest made by Windows, winetricks or wine upgrade? Why would that be stopping it from running?

They are fake manifests put there by Wine. They prevent Wine from using versions of the runtimes installed locally by the apps themselves, which matches the behavior in Windows. Unfortunately, Wine's vc90 replacement is still incomplete, so a lot of apps that used to happily use the runtime installed by the app itself are now breaking. The easiest solution I have found is to rename the dead.beef manifest file, but Wine will recreate it every time you upgrade. You can avoid this by making the directory read-only.