[Wine] current directory setting at startup?

Roald Ribe roald.ribe at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:32:16 CDT 2011

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:26:34 -0300, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/11 12:40 AM, Roald Ribe wrote:
>> Platform X86, Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit, wine 1.3.15
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> When I try to launch a game in wine, the game requires the directory
>> where the .exe file is located to be the current directory at startup
>> time. If I start the game by clicking on it in Nautilus, this seems to
>> be handled automatically. But when I try to start the game by invoking
>> it from an icon defined in Main Menu, it stops because it can not
>> locate it's files.
>>
>> When launching a program with the wine command, like:
>> wine "c:/Program Files/Claw/CLAW.EXE"
>> the program starts but reports that it can not load resource files.
>>
>> If I make a .bat file like:
>> c:
>> cd "\Program Files\Claw"
>> claw.exe
>>
>> the game will start correctly, invoked by
>> wine start "c:/Program Files/Claw/claw.bat"
>>
>> It seems to me that there should be an additional parameter in the
>> wine command, to set the current directory before the executable is
>> invoked. This would correspond with how a program is defined in
>> progman.exe as well. It should not be necessary to make a script or
>> write a batch file for each program. Or maybe I have missed an easy
>> way to acheive this essential functionality?
> No, you are not missing anything.   Windows programs are designed to be
> started from the directory in which they are installed.  Blame this on
> Microsoft.

I agree that this is an expectation that Windows programs have. But
progman.exe, the Start menu and desktop icons allows the user to specify
a directory that the system will set to current before executing the
specified program. Would it not be logical and convenient for the wine
command to have the same option available?

Roald