[Wine] WineHQ database compromise

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Oct 11 14:13:23 CDT 2011

Hi,

I am sad to say that there was a compromise of the WineHQ database system.

What we know at this point that someone was able to obtain unauthorized
access to the phpmyadmin utility.  We do not exactly how they obtained
access; it was either by compromising an admins credentials, or by
exploiting an unpatched vulnerability in phpmyadmin.

We had reluctantly provided access to phpmyadmin to the appdb developers
(it is a very handy tool, and something they very much wanted).  But it
is a prime target for hackers, and apparently our best efforts at
obscuring it and patching it were not sufficient.

So we have removed all access to phpmyadmin from the outside world.

We do not believe the attackers obtained any other form of access to the
system.

On the one hand, we saw no evidence of harm to any database. We saw no
evidence of any attempt to change the database (and candidly, using the
real appdb or bugzilla is the easy way to change the database).

Unfortunately, the attackers were able to download the full login
database for both the appdb and bugzilla.  This means that they have all
of those emails, as well as the passwords.  The passwords are stored
encrypted, but with enough effort and depending on the quality of the
password, they can be cracked.

This, I'm afraid, is a serious threat; it means that anyone who uses the
same email / password on other systems is now vulnerable to a malicious
attacker using that information to access their account.

We are going to be resetting every password and sending a private email
to every affected user.

This is again another reminder to never use a common username / password
pair.  This web site provides further advice as well:
http://asiknews.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/best-practice-password-management-for-internet-web-sites/

I am very sad to have to report this.  We have so many challenges in our
world today that this is a particularly painful form of salt for our wounds.

However, I think it is urgent for everyone to know what happened.

Cheers,

Jeremy