[Wine] WineHQ database compromise

Rune K. Svendsen runesvend at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:35:12 CDT 2011

> Unfortunately, the attackers were able to download the full login
> database for both the appdb and bugzilla.  This means that they have
> all of those emails, as well as the passwords.  The passwords are
> stored encrypted, but with enough effort and depending on the quality
> of the password, they can be cracked.

Could you please explain in detail how these passwords were "encrypted"?
Were they hashed? Using which hash function? Did you use a SALT?

I have a simple password that I use for sites like these, which means
that the hackers now have access to other forums and bug trackers I am
registered in. It's not a problem for me.