[Wine] wine application uses all of my memory

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Wed Oct 12 23:05:37 CDT 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 9:06 PM, wine128 wrote:

> Hi...I'm using BackTrack linux for a class I'm taking and using a program in wine that is just using all of my memory. Any ideas on how I can limit this program from using all of my memory. I'm on a mac running vmware fusion 4.0 and have backtrack 5r1 as a vm
That's not a Wine question. Ask the BackTrack guys.

But before you do, why are you running Wine in a Linux VM, when you can just run Wine directly on Mac OS X? Yes, it does work. I use it myself. (See http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX .)

In fact, why are you even bothering with Wine at all? Nine times out of 10, the right solution (as I've said in elsewhere) is to find a native program that does what you want on whatever OS you're running, rather than messing with Wine--especially on Mac.

Chip