[Wine] problems installing wine 1.3.24/sketchup 8/on fedora 15

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:51:53 CDT 2011

On 10/16/11 9:52 AM, onewaydave wrote:
> I found a similar problem posted here  http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=43177&sid=55ecdb5e567348cdd47fe046cc45a1f2
>
> He used wine 1.1.x and I'm using 1.3.24
> He uses f 12-x86_64 and I'm using f 15-x86_64
>
> He mentions that his install has in the home directory a .wine/ and a .wine-x86_64/
> I only have a .wine/
>
> He mentions that he has only installed SketchUp for wine and so have I.
>
> He mentioned that he edited winetricks to change $WINE to $WINE32
> Winetricks is a large complex script to me and I am a little intimidated changing it without some direction/confirmation.
>
> So I'm not sure what differences there would be.
>
> When I
> Code:
>   env WINEPREFIX="/home/dgw/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\SketchUp.exe"
Put these two on separate lines.

BTW, the .wine directory is automagically put into the user home
directory....

Something like this might work:

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(X86\)/Google/Google\ Sketchup\ 8\
wine Sketchup.exe

Windows programs tend to look at the current directory before looking
anywhere else for program specific files.  Blame Microsoft for this, not
Wine.  Also, you may not need to escape (\) the parenthesis characters.