[Wine] Re: Forum Software Update and mailing list gateway

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 2 20:28:24 CDT 2011

vitamin wrote:
> Just kill the mailing list. It's not manageable. All spam can easily be removed from forum. But stays forever in mailing archives.
>
> And the whopping 10 users who still do genuinely use mailing list are welcome into 21st century and forum interface. It really does not take any longer to read every single post through forum interface then via mailing list.

I don't think it's necessary to kill the mailing list; people have a right to their preferences. However, the issue of spam remaining in the mailing list archives after we have deleted it from the forum is a significant problem. A mailing list admin needs to clean up what's in there now, regardless of what is done with the gateway.

FWIW, the openSUSE forums and mailing list are separate, and both channels are very active. They tend to serve different populations. I see nothing wrong with that. Linux is about choice.