[Wine] Re: Pulse audo in 1.3.25+

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 6 14:03:36 CDT 2011

dardack wrote:
> OK WTF, I sent 2 emails yesterday.  Didn't get any responses, so decided to just check out the forum.  They aren't here.  Sigh.  Ok here is what I wrote:
>

> OK looks like i need help.  I got sound to work in both this way:
>
> in /etc/pulse/default.pa
>
> comment out:
> #load-module module-udev-detect
> #load-module module-suspend-on-idle
>
> Added:
>

> load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
>

> no asoundrc file needed (in fact even when I put a asoundrc such as partial: pcm.!default {
>         type plug
>         slave.pcm "dmixer"
> }
>
> if i cchanged dmix to dmixer it wouldn't work.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the .asoundrc file.

Hm... Was that the essential change you added in the asoundrc file? Because if that was it then it's normal for it not work. Not only are you changing the default device (which you shouldn't do, as it should *still* point to pulse), but you're also not creating the dmixer device, (I think). I don't know why you don't get sound. It's puzzling me, to be honest. My suggestion is that of manually creating a dsnoop-based device. try to insert this in the .asoundrc file:

Code:
pcm.dsnooped {
	type dsnoop
	ipc_key 2048 #Any value at random. Really, any value.
	slave {
		pcm "hw:0" #Or whatever your card is
	}
}

Then, instead of adding dsnoop in that line, add dsnooped. See if it works. If it doesn't and if you *don't* need Wine to pick up your microphone, you could just have Pulseaudio access your sound card directly for recording, using hw:0.

I'd recommend you to do the same for a dmix device:

Code:
pcm.dmixed {
	type dmix
		ipc_key 5678293 #Any value at random. Really, any value.
		ipc_perm 0666
		slave {
			pcm "hw:0" #Or whatever your card is
# These are all optional and are here for fine-tunning later on.
#			period_time 0
#			period_size 8192
#			buffer_size 32768
#			rate 48000
#			format S16_LE
		}
}

Then, create a "duplex" device to join these together:

Code:
pcm.duplex_for_pulse {
	type plug
	slave {
		pcm {
			type asym
			playback.pcm "dmixed"
			capture.pcm  "dsnooped"
		}
	}
}

Now use that device in both lines in the pulseaudio file. See if that works.

Make sure that you don't change the default device, or even anything pulse related. default should still point to pulse, otherwise nothing will go through pulseaudio and things might get really nasty.

dardack wrote:

> OK so sound works, but my mic doesn't. If I unmute it in alsamixer, it goes straight to my headphones, no recoding software picks it up.
>
> Also no sound in virtualbox anymore so far That i've discovered don't work, Flash player in Chrome doesn't work (didn't try firefox).   VLC/Totem work.

See above.

dardack wrote:

> 2nd email:
>
> OK thinking.  I ptu in the default default.pa back, then I booted, ran the padevchooser (or the manager w/e it's called).  I see this under sink/source/devices/modules:
>
> module-alsa-card device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1b.0" card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0" tsched=yes ignore_db=no_card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1"
>
> Default Source:  alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
> Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>
> Could I somehow use this information to get mic/better alsa output support?

I don't think that's of any use at all. At least not for now. Also, you don't need to reboot, as you probably know. You only have to kill pulseaudio and restart it. (I'm not sure if there's a service for it in Ubuntu).

Cheers,

Jorl17[/code]