[Wine] Re: Forum Software Update and mailing list gateway

jnewman wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 6 14:19:44 CDT 2011

Jim Hall wrote:
> What version is the forum software? I believe the latest is 3.0.9.

Currently we are using PHPbb 2.0.x. Very old to say the least. I plan to upgrade to the latest stable PHPbb 3.x. (3.0.9)

The whole current problem is the mailing list gateway. mail2Forum (or m2f). There is a version for PHP3.x, but it is very unstable and not recommended for production use. I did give it a whirl and tried to install it. I had no luck getting it to even install properly. From the looks of the SVN, there has not been much activity on the project to get it to a stable state.

This leaves us with two options, 1.) remain on the status quo and live with the spam. 2.) Drop the mailing list gateway, so we can have PHPbb 3.x.

Someone earlier asked why we do not delete spam from the mailing list archives. Yes, we can simply remove the .html files from the mailman archives, but this leaves us with 404s. The proper way to do it is have a script remove the spam emails from the mailman list mbox file, and then re-run the archive regeneration routine. I have yet to find said script, perhaps someone can suggest one.

If we drop the gateway, we could possibly switch to another forum software, even a commercial one. I like IP.Board for example. But, that would require a conversion. Not sure if IP.Board has a clean conversion from PHPbb 2.x.

-Newman