[Wine] Cannot run apps requiring DirectX - Intel card

gdorsch wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 8 10:40:56 CDT 2011

Hi, everyone,

my first post here, and I'm not even quite sure if I should post it in a Wine forum or in an Intel or an OpenGL one, but since my problems occur only with Wine I guess I should start here.

The problem is, I simply cannot run any program that require DirectX. After googling about it, I've found out that the problem lies in my Graphic card, which is an Intel GM965 that has crappy OpenGL support. To confirm this, I've run the same apps in another computer (with the same Ubuntu and Wine versions I'm using, but with nVidia card), and they ran perfectly. So, I'm convinced the problem is in my graphic card.

However, Intel's website says that my card supports up to OpenGL 1.5, while my glxinfo says:
> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

. So, my question is: Could this be the cause of the problem, that I'm running an OpenGL version higher than the supported by my graphic card? Should I try to downgrade Mesa? Or would this be useless?

Just to emphasize, I have never had any problems running Linux apps. I only have problems running windows apps with Wine.

Wine version: 1.2.3
OS: Ubuntu 10.04
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
Linux version 2.6.32-33-generic
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller