[Wine] Re: WoW in Wine - PC freezes randomly

kainisma wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 8 16:11:39 CDT 2011

bcpeterson wrote:
> Per the FAQ:
>
> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-7f5c96516e61609acb0b2de9c0e6e97eadaff31a
>

> > If you are getting a complete deadlock and are unable to even use your mouse after running Wine, it's probably not a specific problem with the Wine software. Wine is a user-level process, and shouldn't be able to completely hang the operating system under any circumstances. Instead, Wine is likely exposing a deeper problem with the system, such as a defective hardware driver, a bad memory stick, or overclocking flakiness.
> >
> > It's often a graphics driver problem, in which case non-Wine apps might also be affected. If running glxgears also crashes, it's definitely a graphics driver problem. The most common cause is upgrading to a new kernel without also updating the graphics drivers to match. Try reinstalling your graphics drivers.
> >
> > If the computer is a laptop and shutting itself off entirely, a likely cause is overheating. Some laptops have problems with cooling to begin with, and the Linux ACPI code controlling fans is known to be buggy.
> >
> > If that doesn't help, ask for help on the wine-users forum. Be sure to mention the name of the app, the version of wine, the output of cat /etc/issue , lspci | grep -i vga , and, if you're using the proprietary NVidia drivers, cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version . Maybe someone can help.
>

> So, what version of wine do you have, and what kind of video card and driver version?

I searched in the FAQ but i guess i missed that part. Anyway, i put "lspci | grep -i vga"  in terminal and this is what it showed :

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]

Wine version:  wine-1.2.2

the computer is brand new, so i really doubt that is memory problem, or HD problem or whatever.  About the video card, it's kinda old, but it seems to function quite good.  it's MSI R4650  (and the driver i found for it is that one that shows up there... )

maybe i should use catalyst (as it's the common driver for windows)  but i really dont know if that'd be better than this one... and i read that people had some troubles using Catalyst drivers in ubuntu with wine.

thanks a lot.
PD: Sry for giving poor information... i really didn't see that one in FAQ :P