[Wine] WoW in Wine - PC freezes randomly

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Sep 8 18:18:50 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 16:11 -0500, kainisma wrote:

> the computer is brand new, so i really doubt that is memory problem,
> or HD problem or whatever.  About the video card, it's kinda old, but
> it seems to function quite good.  it's MSI R4650  (and the driver i
> found for it is that one that shows up there... )

Unfortunately that means almost nothing.

Its a fact that electronics tend to fail at both ends of their life:
either within the first few hours of use or after a very long time when
contacts and solder joints start to corrode and fail. This is known as
the 'Bathtub curve'. There's a full explanation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

FWIW the most reliable computer I own dates from 1992 - its been used
every day or two since then, but its original motherboard failed within
the first two months. The replacement is still running reliably despite
spending a significant part of its life being run in a van in the middle
of an airfield, powered by a small petrol generator and, yes, that did
run out of fuel a few times.

Martin