[Wine] Re: Problems with this Harry Potter PC game in wine 1.2.2

nilrezei wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 9 02:03:38 CDT 2011

dardack wrote:

> > <snip>
> >
> > Ok, first of all my PC specs exceed by far the game's specs. Other games
> > run very well, so it's not a hardware problem, nor a video driver.
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> Just because the specs listed for native Win/Mac are exceeded doesn't mean
> it will run great in Linux.  Your adding layers of calls to the original
> game.  Also, not everything is implemented in Wine (or if it is some are
> still buggy).  So your video card/drivers are key to helping you.  This game
> in the winehq app DB has a silver/plat/gold rating, with a test from Aug
> 2011.  So it should work.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
>
> MacNean C. Tyrrell
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

You are partially right only. Yes, video drivers are important, but, as I said, same video driver allows me to run more recent and more video card demanding games, such as Jedi Academy, KOTOR, Toca RD3...

Here:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/harrypotterandthess/tech_info.html

That should tell you that, unless I have a 10 years old PC, which is not the case, considering games I'm able to run, and considering:

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+
2 Gb RAM DDR2
ECS GeForce6100SM-M2 onboard video, 128 Mb
Driver: Nvidia accelerated graphics driver (Recommended) PROPRIETARY 270.41.06

Harry Potter 1 should run flawlessly!

And guess what? Harry Potter 2 (Chamber of Secrets), which is a more demanding game, installs and runs very well. Well, not quite as fast as in Windows XP, but at a quite acceptable frame rate.

You say games run slower in Wine by definition. No, there are cases when they run much faster.

I think the error in my case is more related to resolution somehow, first of all, than to anything else...