[Wine] How to load an ISO as a “CD” to satisfy “insert CD” prompt?

LPMusicLJ wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 10 00:45:29 CDT 2011

I am trying to run my own legal copy of Propellerhead (http://www.propellerheads.se/) Reason 2.5 through Wine on latest Ubuntu on Asus (http://www.asus.com/) netbook, which has no optical drive.  When the application starts, it asks me to “Please insert the CD”, which I thought I knew how to do because after all, I had to mount the one of the three ISOs to start the installation.

I run this

Code:
wine Reason.exe

, and get this (output of wine Rebirth.exe &> /tmp/log.txt 2>&1.)

Code:
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 24000 (device=2 access=1 func=0 method=0)

This code repeats itself once a second while the GUI of the application Reason prompts me for “Please insert the CD <cd name>, Waiting for CD...”.  There is only a button for “Quit”.  This is the normal behavior, just like how Windows does it.  In fact, after this CD load, it will request I load another CD before it lets me enter serial number

This is how I mount the CD prior to executing the command line wine Reason.exe.

Code:

netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls
c:  e:  e::  f:  h:  z:
netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ unlink e:
netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ unlink e::
netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls
c:  f:  h:  z:

netbook at netbook-901:~$ cd ReBirth/
netbook at netbook-901:~/ReBirth$ ls
demos                            Propellerhead
Reason2.5_Disc1.iso
Reason2.5_Disc2Orkester.iso
netbook#1.rbs                     Reason2.5_Disc3Sound_Bank.iso
netbook #2.rbs                    Reason Installation wine errors.txt
mountng.txt                      rebirth_iso_installation.iso
netbook at netbook-901:~/ReBirth$ sudo mount -o loop Reason2.5_Disc2Orkester.iso /mnt/reason2

netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ln -s /mnt/reason2 e:
netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ln -s ~/ReBirth/Reason2.5_Disc2Orkester.iso  e::
netbook at netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls
c:  e:  e::  f:  h:  z:

Rebirth 2.5 is not in the AppDB (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=811), but the subsequent versions are (i.e. 3.x, 4.0,5.0).  I’d like to run 2.5 because that is the version I own and run on my Windows Digital Audio Workstation counterpart.

I’m running wine version 1.2.3

I do not understand the switches of the link and mount commands very well, nor do I understand how wine ‘sees’ the virtual CD-ROM drive.  I am adapting instructions from this page (http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/10/how-to-install-rebirth-in-linux-get-a-free-rack-of-beat-machines/), which I successfully completed to run ReBirth (http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/), Reason’s predecessor.

I believe this will work.  Could someone just help me mount the ISO CD correctly?  I also will need to know how to put in a 'second CD' while "ingame".  I assume I could just create two virtual CD-ROM drives and am willing to do that.

I recreated the ISOs from the original CDs again when all of this failed the first time, but that did not help.  The same CDs works in Windows.  I even copied the entire subdirectory from "Program Files" and dropped into the corresponding wine folder thinking these files were 'activated', and I get the same as stated above.

Thank you for your time.