[Wine] wine 1.3.28 sound issues

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 10:15:54 CDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM, mrmarcus <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After upgrading wine from 1.3.27 -> 1.3.28 I found I got no sound when a
> different application (which uses the sound) is running in the background.
>
> Workaround for me is to kill all sound, load up the wine application and
> alt+tab back to start a non wine application.
> It's not optimal but a workaround.
>
> But I would like to understand why this is happening. Why wine could
> somehow not make a connection to the audio server. And visa versa it works.
>
> For relevance, I use opensuse tumbleweed with pulseaudio enabled.

Yes for some reason wine with alsa isn't creating a alsa-plugin in pulse
anymore or something.  It's strange.  If I run winecfg, and click test
sound, it used to create a alsa-plugin in pulse, it doesn't anymore.  Now
when I run a game it does create a wine-preloader plugin, but not
alsa-plugin[wine-preloader], not sure how it works tbh.

My fix from the 70 posts of testing still seems to work for me.  It seems
that pulse 0.9.23 somehow has new API's, bug fixes, that allows it and alsa
to work better together.  The problem is 0.9.23 for Ubuntu won't be
backported to 11.04, since the new API's don't work nice I guess or
something (if you read the bug report they say why)(and I have no clue what
version is in OpenSuse tbh).  I'd use 0.9.23 except the Gnome Sound Applet
doesn't work with it, so I can't control sound volume easily, so I start
0.9.23, get sound from a pulse app running, kill 0.9.23 and start up the
built in sound, then the sound applet works, but it seems to use 0.9.23 so
now wine/pulse/alsa all play nice.

Or as wine recommends just get rid of Pulse all together, and use alsa sound
applets to control sound.  I just personally like Pulse for everythign but
wine.

--
Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell