[Wine] getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Sep 11 15:57:58 CDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 13:17 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> On 9/11/11 10:36 AM, lin wrote:
> > hello James hello vitamin
> >
> > many thanks for the answers!
> >

> > jjmckenzie wrote:

> >> The question is WHY do you want to use WinSCP on Linux/UNIX?
> >>
> >> There are native GUI applications that are a much better 'fit'.
> >>
> >> James
> >

> > perhaps i try to use some other clients - GUI-Apps
> > http://alternativeto.net/software/winscp/?profile=linux&platform=linux
> >
> > well - the question is - can i import the keys (that i run on WinSCP) with ease! If So then i sure give the others a try....
> I'll have to look at this, but I suspect that the keys are just encoded
> (bit-64 maybe) ASCII text.  Copying them to the keyring may be possible
> from WinSCP to whatever you want to use.
>
> The best thing to do is export the public key from the server and add it
> using whatever program you choose's import key process.  I do this with
> PuTTY and it is not that hard.

Grabbing the public key is really easy on linux: from the command line,
run the command:

	ssh user at host

This gets you a mini-lecture about man-in-the middle attacks, shows the
target hostname and IP number and asks whether you really want to make
this connection. Answer 'yes' and the public key is copied into
$HOME/.ssh/known_hosts followed by the normal prompt for a password.

After that you just get the password prompt until/unless the OS on the
remote host is reinstalled, which causes the connection to be refused
because the public key no longer matches: the first thing sshd, the SSH
server, does after a clean install is to generate the host's public key.
The recovery is to edit $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts and remove all lines that
start with that host name - there will be either one or two of them.
Then repeat the command that failed and you'll get the mini-lecture and
be asked whether you want connect as described above.

Martin