[Wine] Install and run Wine purely in/from the home folder

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:02:58 CDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 17:49, ubyx <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Ok, thanks.
>
> So have I to compile with the correct prefixes. Somethink like
>
> ./configure -prefix=$home/wine_for_me
>
> then I compile and install.
You don't even have to specify a prefix if you don't do a make install
(i.e. you just do './configure && make' then run wine by specifying
the full wine path
like '/path/to/compiled/wine yourprog'

> After that I could simply copy the wine folder to my folder on the server?

yes but compiling on a system and running on another can be
problematic, e.g. if some libraries are not installed on the
destination machine (or different versions, ...)
You should preferably compile on the destination machine.