[Wine] Re: Can't install program to another drive

FX2011 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 19 09:50:54 CDT 2011

jjmckenzie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:13 AM, FX2011 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> First, the disks have to be available to Linux.
> Second, we do not recommend installing nor using programs on NTFS due
> to several issues related to permissions.
> Third, this is really the most important part, Wine does not and
> cannot use a Windows registry hive.  Do NOT attempt to use any part of
> your current Windows installation with Wine, excepting specfic Windows
> DLL files on a case-by-case basis.
>
> The way around this is to install programs under Wine in a Linux
> formatted partition.  This does not preclude 'sharing' data by using a
> FAT32 formatted partition between Windows and Linux and is the method
> I have used for years to do so with other programs.
>
> James

Hello James,
First - All drives are visible under Linux, hence being mounted and I can view and access all of them.
Second - This is probably the problem. So my thoughts were correct, it's best to remove Windows entirely thereby removing any possible NFTS format problems.
Third - I certainly wasn't attempting run Wine under Windows if that is what you're referring to. Wine is installed under Linux at this time.

Also in relation to your third point, for a complete re-install of Linux and removal of Windows, I gather it's prudent to have Linux installed on C  and during the installation of Linux format D and E as FAT32?

Thanks!
Glenn