[Wine] Re: [Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst] gurus & advice needed

dk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 26 05:37:08 CDT 2011

Cloudef wrote:
> ..Might even take a look closer(inside wine) when I have
> more time.

Bug #27293 (the typing bug) might be a good place to start. I very briefly looked into it a little back in May. PsoBB.exe uses the following imm32.dll functions (which in Wine are either incomplete or stubs):

Code:
ImmSetCompositionWindow
ImmGetOpenStatus
ImmGetDescriptionW
ImmReleaseContext
ImmDisableIME

There HAS to be other games that use this dll and are failing because of those functions. We have to look through the tracker for similar bugs and find out which developers worked on them. Maybe they'd be willing to help/answer questions/point us in the right direction..

Cloudef wrote:
> There is PSO2 coming, but it's using GameGuard which is deal breaker.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing a true sequel. (I could never get into Universe.) On the subject of GameGuard..

I was waiting for Jasmine to approve version 1.24.3 in the appdb before posting this news but Fuzziqer re-wrote his game launcher last week. He did a really slick job of it too; the changes he made were enough to coax  the launcher into running under Wine!! There's a good chance that other games (using GameGuard) will be able to benefit from Fuzziqer's work.. but that's for another topic.

Using the new launcher I was able to run the official 1.24.3 client. Both bugs are still present so we can definitively rule out the possibility that patch modifications were contributing factors. You can download the new source code from his project page here:

http://www.fuzziqersoftware.com/projects.php  (search for PSOBB Launcher)

At the time of posting this he's only updated the source file. (The binary and description still apply to the original release.) I can't seem to edit my previous post so here are updated packages for those interested:

Code:
  File: PSOBB Launcher (Disables GameGuard).zip
CRC-32: 8c74daf4
   MD4: b556a8773b5fd3895a44bc43e9455fdc
   MD5: a05441db63bd99fc0c3bbbd4cd851751
 SHA-1: f5fe08ff849f5f0d0b958d6b329de668814a343c

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZSYSLOZQ

  File: PSOBB Launcher (Disables GameGuard) (Source only).zip
CRC-32: 4407868f
   MD4: 0a703ee0b3f8cf3fa0b50c58bbe6f5ab
   MD5: b4c86d0b79676a7bc4bdda8b017a01db
 SHA-1: 682958df66c4c7a2ba3996b2cb4b7f919ed22271

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZTMD5543

I compiled the package binaries in Windows with TDM-GCC 4.5.2 (http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download)

with the following:

Code:
C:\MinGW32\bin\g++ c:\launch.cpp -o c:\launch.exe

Code:
C:\MinGW32\bin\g++ c:\launch-debug.cpp -o c:\launch-debug.exe

The new launcher dynamically searches memory for the correct address to patch which means it should also be compatible with other versions of the client. While it runs under Wine it doesn't always find the right address. When this happens you'll see GameGuard starting to update:

[Image: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9717/psobbgameguard.png ]

Just click the 'Cancel' button. After a few seconds you'll receive this message:

[Image: http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7716/psobbgameguarderror.png ]

Click 'Ok' to close the window and launch the game again. Repeat this process until the launcher finds the correct address and closes the GameGuard window. (It will close almost instantly after it appears when successful.) From my testing it looks like it works every 2nd or 3rd try although on a couple of occasions it's gotten it on the first.

First pics of an untouched official client running under Wine:

[Image: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5726/psobb1.jpg ]

[Image: http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/1281/psobb2.jpg ]