[Wine] Bash Script Shorcuts for Steam Games

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Sep 28 06:52:33 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 22:56 -0500, Entanglement wrote:
> Okay, so I tried the code you gave me Mr. Gregorie (including your new
> post's fix on ps -ef) but GNU Debugger still failed to run on the
> script (which currently only has TF2's launch from wine line on it).

I have only responded with tips about writing bash scripts, since that
was what you asked about. I had assumed, possibly incorrectly, that you
*KNEW* that using gdb to adjust the signal handling for SIGSTOP, SIGSEGV
and SIGUSR1 would allow HL2.exe to run successfully. I have not and will
not offer advice on using gdb since I don't use it myself, except for
this point: altering the behaviour of the SIGSEGV handler is not a good
idea since that traps memory segmentation faults, i.e. program crashes
due to trying to address memory outside itself.

Have you done this gdb procedure manually and had HL2.exe run correctly
as a result? If not, there's little point in trying to script something
that doesn't work when you type it by hand. If you have had it work
using manual command line input, please post a screen dump via pastebin
that shows the commands you issued and the responses made by gdb and
your program. I also want to see proof that gdb is reading the symbol
table from HL2.exe.

The reason I'm asking to see this output is because the only fragment of
gdb output I can find in this thread was in a post from Jake, which
shows gdb reading the symbol table of the Wine preloader. That symbol
table has nothing whatsoever to do with HL2.exe

Once we've seen the manually entered sequence of commands that cause
HL2.exe to run correctly we can advise on how to script it.

Martin