[Wine] Troubleshooting 2D Graphics / Speed Issues

gbw788 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 29 11:26:48 CDT 2011

First off, let me start by saying great job to the Wine devs and everyone who makes this project what it is. You guys continue to blow me away with some of this stuff.

That said, I'm having a bit of trouble with Wine (1.3.29) and was hoping maybe someone more knowledgeable than I could help. I'm working on trying to get a piece of in-house software (read: not in AppDB, never will be) that was written/compiled under Windows running in CentOS 5.6 (x86_64) and have been having one hell of a time at it. I can get the program to run, its networking-related processes all work fine, and the thing gets me to the main "map" interface- this is where my problem is.

Before I continue, its likely prudent to mention the app utilizes the Qt framework, as well as the Envitia MapLink Pro 6.0 API for rendering maps (all 2D). I don't know if anyone has experience with these under Wine, but I figure it bears mentioning since no one can really try the program out on their own...

My issue is that whenever there is map interaction- mainly zooming in/out or panning- there is a seriously noticeable slowdown, sometimes partnered with Xorg -> %100 CPU. If I disable some of the map's detail layers (geospatial data and depth markings- i.e. lots and lots of lines being drawn) then things tend to pick up a bit; obviously we need those layers though so thats hardly a fix. I had thought the MapLink parts used DirectDraw for rendering, but nearest I can tell that may or may not be the case.

Any chance anyone has some advice? Everything runs, its just the "stuttering" of zooming and panning is no good. I've made sure all the usual stuff is in order- direct rendering, various registry tweak combinations, upgrade Nvidia driver, etc- but nothing tends to make a big change. This strikes me as especially strange because even *if* the CPU was handling the drawing, I feel like the slowdown should be nonexistent because the testing rig I'm using is a behemoth- 32GB RAM, Xeon 2.50GHz and an Nvidia Quadro FX 1700.

I know this is not much to go on, but any bits of advice are hugely appreciated. I'm this close and its driving me nuts.