[Wine] Running wine as a server

thomasphansen wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 29 16:21:39 CDT 2011

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have been using wine for a long time.

Is there a way of running wine as a server, so that many linux users could run instances of the same application without the need of running several instances of wine?

My scenario is:

I've got a linux machine working as a server for 14 thin clients. Each client runs (as different users, via ssh -X -C) a windows application through wine. It's working rather well, except that the application takes a long time to start. I understand that this happens because each time a client starts the application, a new instance of wineserver is started, and as soon as the client disconnects, this wineserver goes down. I've thinked about using the "-p" option to start wineserver, but I'd need to start 14 wineservers (one for each user), which would blow up my server (actually, only 3 clients are allowed to connect simultaneously, so running 14 wineservers  dry out all my memory).

What I would like is: all my instances of my application connecting to a single wineserver, and each instance running as a different user.

Is that possible?

Thanks, guys!