[Wine] serial communication

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Apr 3 05:11:06 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 22:01 -0500, ron r wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> The serial hardware is what is on the motherboard(s) - I don't know
> any more detail.

OK, that's a real UART. If you run the following:

<code>
for f in /dev/ttyS*
do
setserial -a $f
done
</code>

from the terminal you'll see details of all your serial ports. Type it
in in line by line: you'll get a prompt for successive lines up to
'done'. Don't try running it as a single line with semicolon separators:
this just causes syntax errors. Or you can make it into a shell script -
of course. But I digress:

Please post the result of running the command "ls -l /dev/ttyS*". I
think you're seeing a permissions problem.

What version of Fedora did you try this on? If it was F15 or F16 I'm not
altogether surprised that you can't find /etc/rc.d/rc.local because
these and all later releases have replaced the old "System V init"
service management subsystem with the new "systemd" service management
subsystem. This only uses the contents of /etc/rc.d for controlling
legacy daemons, i.e. those still controlled by a script
in /etc/rc.d/init.d. Those that have been converted are now controlled
by *.service recipes in /etc/systemd/system and /lib/systemd/system.

Martin