[Wine] Getting started with wine?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:11:27 CDT 2012

> I wanted to sites and tips and tutorials that teach the first steps.

The first tip is I will tell you is avoid all outside sites with tutorials ...

Most of this information is either wrong or horribly outdated.

1. Start you intro by reading the FAQ.
2. Learn how to use the shell in your linux distro this will be needed
when you have an application that does not work.
3. Look at appdb.winehq.org
4. Install wine 1.4 or 1.5 - Your distro may not have that available by default.
5. When you get into trouble create a thread here per application and
post a link to a debug log you got by running your application in the
shell. Place the debug log on pastebin.com and link here.

John