[Wine] System freeze

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Mon Apr 9 09:03:21 CDT 2012

"macylapka" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> After few minutes (5 - 20 min) of playing Mafia 1 my hole
> system freeze even alt+ctrl+del or CapsLock not respond.
> I have to restart computer by using button or take out batery.

Hard lockups like that are almost always caused by video driver
problems.  Nothing running in user space (wine, or any shared
library that it calls) should be able to hang the kernel, but
wine stresses the video drivers more than almost anything else
and so it turns up bugs that would not otherwise be noticed.

> To play i must copy libGL.so.1 from  /usr/lib32/libGLU.so.1 to
> /usr/lib/ because it isn't there. Can any one help me resolve
> this problem or which information will be useful to do that ?

I doubt that copying a 32-bit shared library to where the system
expects to find a 64-bit shared library is doing you any good.
If you need 64-bit libGL.so, you need to install the correct
version of it for your distro.  (Ask them which package to use;
that's not a wine issue.)