[Wine] Kingsoft Writer, etc.

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Wed Apr 11 23:36:25 CDT 2012

Latest PCWorld mag had a nice writeup on Kingsoft Office software, which
comes in 3 flavors, the lowest of which is free, so I d/l'ed it and
installed it in Wine,
version 1.4-1pclos2012--the latest version the pclos distro has.  It
seemed to install OK, but it won't open any file, and it won't open even
a blank file so you
could write on it.  (Just looking at Writer, for the moment--have not
looked at the Spreadsheet or the Presentations--don't know how to use
the latter, anyway).
In addition, it doesn't even _see_ the files in a directory full of
them.  So, does anybody reading here know if this can be made to work,
and if so, how?  It's
supposed to be a clone of MS Office for the three programs I
mentioned--Writer, Spreadsheet, and Presentations.  Based on PCWorld,
I'm expecting it to be
a better setup than LO, even tho I'm not all that fond of MS Word.
(Can't get WordPerfect to even load, much less work.)

All ideas gratefully accepted.--doug