[Wine] Re: so library with winelib

pvshura wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 16 22:12:04 CDT 2012

I have the same problem as some other people on wine forums. We run java + windows dlls on Windows platform and want to switch to Linux.

As far as I understand Wine was initially designed to run Windows applications on Linux but nobody considered it as a Windows API provider for application components. That makes Wine useless for people who wants to migrate to Linux. Wine becomes a toy, thing for itself because it's closed for the world and especially for the people who wants to migrate or have their applications working under both platforms.

Running java.exe under wine probably would work but it's overkill and makes any Linux transition meaningless.

Say we recompile our application with Wine but we still have problem with Wine loader. Since we have server application we use a relatively small part of Windows API - no user interface, no windows messages etc. Therefore we may try to compile only required part of Wine libraries from sources to avoid wine loader at all.

The simplest approach is to avoid recompilation (use windows built binaries) and emulate wine loader functionality if it's still possible.