[Wine] Very Strange and Probably Obscure Problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 19 06:47:05 CDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 00:40 -0500, eliwap wrote:
> Bummer. I probably do have to replace the hard drive

Well, dimesio said that was likely. I sling a drive as soon as smartd
says its going sour.

> Checked smartd again. The service was disabled even though I explicitly enabled it. And once I brought it online again, I immediately got

Did you mark it to start on booting as will as starting it? Those are
tow separate actions for both the daemon/service mangement systems. On
the old SysV init you need to use both chkconfig and service
respectively. With systemd systemctl does both jobs.

> WARNING: Your hard drive is failing
> Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 2 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
> That was the same error I got before I ran the maintenance procedure.
>
> Time to burn a clonezilla cd

If you made a backup before the last repair, use that. Otherwise running
fsck before trying to make another backup is a good idea.

Backup hint: Long ago I moved the contents of /usr/local and the
contents of directories associated with Java, PostgreSQL and Apache to
directories in /home and replaced the original directories with
symlinks. This means I only need to back up /home and keep copies of
files in /etc that I've manually altered. This makes backups fast and
easy (and even faster if you backup to a USB disk or two with rsync).
I'm a belt and braces man when it comes to backups: I have an automatic
overnight backup and do a manual one immediately before my weekly "yum
upgrade" run. A side benefit is that this makes distro version upgrades
a lot easier.

Full details here if you want to try it:
http://www.libelle-systems.com/free/linux/easier_upgrades.html

Martin