[Wine] Very Strange and Probably Obscure Problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Apr 25 04:58:15 CDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 23:26 -0500, eliwap wrote:
> James.... I agree with your assessment. But its also a good opportunity to learn a little something new :)
>
> Martin... Thanks again for yuour help. The output follows:

What I see are a load of raw read errors plus a smaller number of spin
up errors in the statistics table. The diagnosed errors are mostly
failures to set a required transfer mode and a failure to queue a read
request which is could be a queue overflow due to a failed and retrying
read request.

I'd replace that disk ASAP.

If its less than three years old its under WD guarantee. If you know
where you got it the dealer may handle the guarantee claim. Otherwise,
contact WD directly.

I've had a number of WD 3.5" drives fail, but always after several years
use. However, last year I had a string of 2.5" Caviar Blue drives fail
after less than 10 hours operation. The first two were replaced through
the dealer and failed almost immediately. The third went back direct to
WD and seems to be working OK though I haven't used it much.

BTW, if you're using any sort of mirroring (RAID 1 or RAID 5 and their
equivalents) its a good idea to make sure that the disks in the set are
*NOT* all from the same batch and, if you're sufficiently mistrustful,
not all from the same manufacturer either though, of course, they should
all be the same size.

Martin