[Wine] Re: Entropia Universe on Arch Linux (x86_64)

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 4 02:31:03 CST 2012

As far as I know, in a Windows 64-Bit installation, the 64-Bit libraries are in System32 and the 32-Bit libraries are in WOW64. So it's a bit of a Greenland-Iceland thing.

Though it makes sense. Traditionally, the "normal" Windows libraries are found in System32, and when Windows 64-Bit came out they didn't want to break this tradition. At that point, 64-Bit libraries are the norm so they go in the System32 folder because that's just where libraries have "always" gone.

WOW64 is Windows 32-Bit on Windows 64-Bit, so the 32-Bit libraries go in the WOW64 Bit-folder for "compatiblity" - ha! Not so compatible.

Definitely has given me a few double-takes. In fact, it still makes me second-guess myself every time I do a Wine dll override.

As far as editing a Wine prefix's registry, just do "wine regedit" from terminal. Or if you wish to specify the prefix, "WINEPREFIX=[path to prefix] wine regedit".

Don't confuse this with Wine itself being compiled to run 32-bit programs or compiled to run 64-bit programs. Or a copy of both working together.

Then there's the issue of the operating system itself being 32-bit or 64-bit.

Jake