[Wine] Installing photoshop elements 8 on ubuntu

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Feb 20 19:37:39 CST 2012

On 2/20/2012 7:59 PM, dimesio wrote:
> kowshe wrote:
>> So I'm using this page to install photoshop elements 8 on my computer, which runs ubuntu. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18372
>>
>> I have wine installed and I've installed Internet Explorer like it says, but then it says to install vcrun2003, vcrun2005, vcrun2008, and vcrun2010. I have no idea what these are and how I go about installing them ...
> You would install those with winetricks, http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
>
> However, the test report you are following is over a year old, and I have my doubts about some of the recommendations in it . For one thing, PE8 long predates vcrun2010, so I seriously doubt it requires it. I would suggest you try installing to a clean wineprefix, and only add winetricks as needed.

Somewhat off-topic, but the thread provides the lead-in:
I'm new to Wine, altho not to Linux, and I have only installed one or
two simple programs in Wine, while having one or two others fail.
I did install winetricks, altho I don't know what it is or how to use
it, and I never heard of wineprefix before.  Is there somewhere I
can find a tutorial on Wine?
Thanx--doug