[Wine] Wine on the Mac?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:27:55 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM, vmars316 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a windows program that i would like to run on the Mac. It is my understanding that i could install Wine on the
> Mac. And then my windows program will run from there. Is that how it goes?
>
> I am concerned about the complexity of installing wine on mac, and all the 'other stuff' it needs.
> How much 'other stuff' is there.?

A couple of questions:

What kind of Mac do you own?  If it is an Intel based Mac you can use
Wine.  If it is an older (pre-2008 Mac) using a PowerPC processor, you
are basically out of luck.

For Intel based Macs I highly recommend using the MacPorts product and
installing Wine Development, not Wine Stable (the last update to that
version was one and one-half years ago.)

Using MacPorts is outside the scope of the project and if you
encounter difficulties with it please use their forums for assistance.

James