[Wine] Guild Wars (Platinum Application) now broken

Zakhar wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 23 15:52:56 CST 2012

Hi forumers,

any Guild Wars players around here?

This use to be a Platinum application in WineHQ and I've played it for ages with Linux.
As of today (2012-Feb-23) they made an update in the game (they make that often) and it seems to have broken down the first grade Wine compatibility they had.

Here is what I get (running it with the Terminal to get the output of Wine errors):

*** glibc detected *** Z:\\home\user\Program Files\GUILD WARS\Gw.exe: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x7cd43fe0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib32/libc.so.6(+0x6c231)[0xf7530231]
/lib32/libc.so.6(+0x6dab8)[0xf7531ab8]
/lib32/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6d)[0xf7534b9d]
/usr/lib32/nvidia-current/libGLcore.so.1(+0x8f717f)[0xf654617f]
[0x13dfb70]
======= Memory map: ========

That is with:
$ wine --version
wine-1.2.2
$ uname -a
Linux user-desktop 2.6.32-38-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 4 11:12:07 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

... didn't try though if the game still works with Windows as I've long removed Windows from all my computers and don't wish to install it for the sake of a game.

And furthermore we do now start to have some nice casual games running natively: thanks Humble Bundle!

Didn't try either on a more recent Wine version as I stayed on the Ubuntu LTS that is now almost 2 years old and work awesomely for me.
If some of you have more positive feedback on an up to date Wine version, you are welcome to reply.

Of course I did also file a report to NCSoft, although game is not supported on Linux, the Wine error message suggests there is some wrong code (either a GP Fault or freeing a buffer twice) which might get un-noticed on Windows but wreck the havoc later when running the program for a long time.