[Wine] Re: winetricks ie6/ie7 on 64bit system

octessence wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 5 15:24:58 CST 2012

Although this question is very old, I thought I'd reply to the post since I had exactly the same issue with openSUSE 12.1 but have solved it. I couldn't find an answer anywhere else on the internet so this is to save other people spending time solving it like I just had to.

In openSUSE, the bulk of the wine tools is contained in the 'wine' package and not the 'wine-32-bit' package so removing the 64-bit wine package will cripple everything. Also contrary to the answer above, a 32-bit gecko package does not exist and is not needed to solve the issue.

All that is required to fix this it to define the environment variable:

export WINEARCH=win32

before ~/.wine is created for the first time.

This prevents wine being structured as a 64-bit installation and allows winetricks to work properly.

O.