[Wine] Sound always disabled in AoE II: AoK

CapriKornus wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 8 07:17:11 CST 2012

Hi all!
First my system info:
Wine version: 1.3.28
OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Graphics: Mobile Intel GMA X3100

The problem basically is that I am getting no sound when I play AoE II: AoK. The game starts and works otherwise fine, except for the sound bit.

When I look in the game's Options menu, both Sound Volume and Music Volume sliders are down and it shows Off. I can move the sliders up, but it neither starts the sounds, nor does it save the setting.

I followed the instructions given here (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=147) and here (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1457), but no luck.

I am not really confident enough to try anything I find on the internet, so any help I receive here will be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S: There was an issue with the screen flickering through colors, but I managed to fix it using:

Code:
DirectDrawRenderer=gdi

in Winetricks ==> Default Wineprefix ==> Change settings.