[Wine] problem running quickbooks

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jan 10 16:22:37 CST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 15:31 -0600, Emegra wrote:
> Hi Martin Thanks for your reply, I'l have to try what you suggest
> tomorrow when I'm at work, but what I did notice since writing my post
> is that when I close down although quckbooks goes off the screen, it
> is still running in the task manager, if I end the process from there
> I can then reopen it, without having to reboot Linux

In case you're wondering, I'm looking for ways for you to script the
process of getting rid of anything it quickbooks behind, whether this is
environmental changes or running processes. Stopping the shell that ran
it is one way of doing a clean up which is why I suggested trying it. If
you can't think of a way to get hold of the process ID so you can issue
a kill command, you might see if "killall" helps. If wineserver is still
running too, then shutting that down will probably do the trick. In that
case try "wineboot --force" or "wineserver -k" since both are less of a
shotgun than killall: "wineserver -k" only affects the current
$WINEPREFIX and I assume the same applies to wineboot.

If that works, some sort of script, e.g.

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=$PWD/.name_of_prefix/path/to/quickbooks.exe
wine quickbooks exe
wineboot --force

may be the trick you need. Instead of running quickbooks directly and
then cleaning up afterwards, you'd simply run the script.

Martin