[Wine] problem running quickbooks

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jan 12 07:58:22 CST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 01:11 -0600, Emegra wrote:

> On the above command I think you have the Intuit & Program Files in the wrong order but If I understand you correctly if I replace the spaces with a backslash linux will ignore the space and go to that directory so the command would be
>
> .wine/drive_c/Program\Files/Intuit/Quickbooks\Basic/qbw32.exe

This is wrong. To 'escape' a character means to stop the shell from
treating it as having a special meaning. You do that by *preceeding* it
with a backslash, not replacing it with a backslash. In this case a
space outside a string means 'this is the end of a parameter', so you
should have used

 .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Intuit/Quickbooks\ Basic/qbw32.exe

> Enclosing the whole file namr in double quotes and adding a backslash between the spaces returned this.

You only do one or the other. You can escape spaces outside a quoted
string OR enclose a name containing spaces in quotes, not both.
> graeme at Emegra ~ $ cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\Files/Intuit/Quickbooks\Basic/qbw32.exe"

This should have been:

cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Intuit/Quickbooks Basic/qbw32.exe"

> I'm a self employed man with very little time to read and study a new
> subject, I was only wanting to get this to work because I wanted to
> change my business computers over to Linux and changing to another
> accounting program is not an option for various reasons, however if
> your prepared to struggle on with me I'll keep trying but if you think
> I'm not up to it please say I would completely understand and wouldn't
> be in the least bit offended.

To be honest, if you don't have the time needed to become familiar with
Linux but still want to run business-critical software Windows software
on it under Wine, you're better off sticking with Windows. I say this
because you WILL need to know more than you currently do about Linux in
order to keep its software up to date and your business data securely
backed up. Here I'm assuming that you have a good backup scheme for
Windows and and that you'll want to set one up for Linux that's at least
as good.

Martin