[Wine] Wine problems after OS upgrade - possible causes?

utis wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 13 07:57:11 CST 2012

Hello!

I'm at my wits end with regard to the following problem: after I upgraded my Linux distribution, no windows program running with wine (either 1.2 or 1.3) that changes the graphic mode would run anymore. It is quite possible that I inadvertently changed something in my configuration at some point, though I believe that I by now have tried everything. I'd rather not post specific error messages from wine at this point, since I got widely different ones in the process of trying. Rather, I'd tell the story of what happened here and hope that somebody could give me a hint about *possible* causes and help me to get on track investigating the root of the problem.

A couple of month ago, I was running Ubuntu 10 (not the LTS version) and I could happily and for the most part without problems play games like Wizardry 8, Fallout, Baldur's Gate and even Morrowind with Wine. (Once my problems started I googled for an error message and found a forum post according to which things just wouldn't work with my graphic card, an Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controler. Since things run smoothly once with this hardware, this can't be the problem. ... Well, writing this makes me think ... but I get to that below.)

Then I got a new wide screen monitor and with some of the games I got problems with the mouse pointer on the screen. Since I play rather rarely, I didn't pay much attention and just refrained from playing games at all.

Then I upgraded my operating system to Lubuntu 11.10. And things stopped working altogether. In some cases, like Wizardry 8, the program crashes with an error message (but, since I own more than one copy of that game I'm not 100% sure that this is the exact same setting that run under Ubuntu 10), in other cases the screen would just freeze or go black and then freeze.

Since I have a cold now, I'm staying at home, in a very bad mood, and I'm desperately looking for a diversion from my sickness-induced self-pity. I event went as far as downgrading my operating system. Ubuntu 10 can't be downloaded anymore, so I went for Xubuntu 10.04 LTS. Same problem. I wondered that maybe this was something particular to the "light weight" Ubuntu distributions, since they might be using a very different graphic setting. So I upgraded again to Ubuntu 11.10. Same problem. I switched to Lubuntu 11.10 again, since this is my operating system of choice.

Shall I just post the error messages from one of the games, with more details of my Wine settings? Or can somebody already spot the fundamental problem in this puzzling story? Could it be that my old operating system just used some generic card driver that was slow but reliable? (Then again, I had no luck with Xubuntu 10.04 LTS, either.) If so, which is it and how do I change it back temporarily?

Thanks for any help
    Oliver