[Wine] Wine OK on HP Mini 1000??

doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jan 14 20:43:17 CST 2012

On 01/14/2012 06:02 PM, Joeonthelinux wrote:
> I hit Alt f2 and an application window came up. I typed in gksudo synaptic and  a large list of apps came up. I chose wine---install,  and it installed no problem. I  then downloaded the program from windows (from a e-mail link). The link is good. The program downloaded into my desktop. When I click on it to open, It just sits there, it won't open and there is no message attached to it.  Please Help!!  How do I get it to open?  Thanks  Much,    Joe

Most Windows programs have to be installed.  They come with a setup
file.  Did you install this program?  You can't just copy
the executable from Windows and expect it to run if you haven't done the
setup. Probably the best ways to install something
in Wine is from a downloaded package, or from a CD.  Then all the
related files and registry entries are handled.  Linux is the
same way--many programs require dependencies, without which they won't
run. That's just saying the same thing in different
words, altho the mechanism is a bit different.

--doug