[Wine] Old Wine, New Wine, and ??

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Jan 15 02:45:16 CST 2012

I remember running wine a long while back off a real Win98 installation.
Worked great! And I had all my existing programs (of course, not all of them
would run) and more important, registrations, dll registrations, and other
needed registry entries.

Somewhere along the line, the masters of the vinyards decided to abandone this
mode of operations, probably most rightly so. I agree wine runs better, more
consistently, off its own "installation" and much chaos has been avoided, BUT

I no longer have my registrations and I do not have all the information to
install from scratch many programs that do indeed run fine on wine. I no
longer have all the registered dlls such as for audio effects and their
registrations and have no way of reinstalling them. Maybe some of this stuff
would not run anyway, but ...

So, the question: Could wine run off a combo, using the unionfs? I used to
have the win98 and  wine registries listed using a colon (:). The underlying
windows would be read-only and most everything more-up-to-date would override
this. Might still need the :.