[Wine] Can't get Wine to work passed the most basic

samaricsm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 15 14:28:42 CST 2012

I have managed to get most games to load, but everyone locks up when I try to play it.  It is always the same error:

Missing Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls (0.0.0)

Every libraries I can find connected to DirectX, Steam, .Net.  All of my research indicates this is a error that is compiled into the code per Microsofts instructions.

I am running an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad core, with an Nvidia GeoForce 8400.  The driver is version 173 with post release updates applied.

I have used PlayOnLinux to use every version of Wine available, but the one I have loaded before PlayOnLinux is 1.3.36.

Would compiling WINE correct this problem?

I am at my wits end.  I have tried everything else I can think of, with no results.