[Wine] Re: Can't get Wine to work passed the most basic

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 15 21:10:50 CST 2012

samaricsm wrote:

> I am thinking it is something specific about my machine, maybe the fact that it is a quad, and not a dual core..

My system has 6 cores. Wine works fine.

One thing I just noticed is that you are using the wrong driver for your graphics card. The 173 drivers are legacy releases for GeForce series 5 cards; you should be using the 290 driver.

But that wouldn't cause the message about missing Common.Controls. That sounds like a messed up wineprefix, probably from installing a lot of unnecessary native dlls. Try deleting it and reinstalling your apps to a clean wineprefix (no native dlls or other tweaks) with plain Wine.  If it still doesn't work, post terminal output.