[Wine] Disable icon extracting

cenarius wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jan 21 09:07:08 CST 2012

Hello everyone!

First I would like to thank every people who worked/work on the Wine project, this is really fantastic!

One thing I am wondering though, I set up an application launcher to launch a Windows application via Wine (namely World of Warcraft). I set a particular icon to that launcher. (I made a custom icon for WoW to suit my icon theme)

The problem is that wine (or ubuntu, that can be the problem as well), keeps using the real exe icon to refer to the application once it is launched.
So the icon displayed in the dock and in the alt-tab window is not the one I made but the original exe one and is too small for the alt-tab window, causing rendering issues with pixels.

I removed the icoutils package which I thought was responsible for Ubuntu forcing the display of the original exe icon but it had no effect.

I would like to have my custom icon displayed as the application icon when launched, or at least the same "wine" icon for all wine applications, which will suit my icon theme even if it will be the same for all windows applications.

What are your thoughts about this issue? Is it wine related or is it Ubuntu?
I used the Wine Ubuntu PPA and reverted to the standard Ubuntu repository, but no change.
If it is not wine, how can Ubuntu extract the icons without icoutils?
If it is not ubuntu, how can I prevent wine to use the original icon, allowing me to use my custom icon?

Here is a screenshot of the dash displaying the wrong icon. You can see my custom made icon as the second application launcher, and the one actively displayed at the bottom. The rendering issue related to the wrong size of the icon is not as aggressive as in the alt-tab window, but I was unable to take a screeenshot of the alt-tab pop-up window, it simply does not appear on the screenshots.

Screenshot at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/188481/wow_icon_screenshot_for_wine_forums.png

Thank you in advance!

PS: English is not my native language so I apologize for my spelling/grammar...