[Wine] Running Windows Apps Live With Wine On Linux Live DVD

winepunk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 22 00:02:55 CST 2012

Wine Version:wine-1.3.37
OS: Linux Mint 10
Additional Info: Remastersys 3.0.1-1
Testing Windows Software: Manga Studio Debut 4

Here is the situation:  I need to run a secure proprietary environment.  I'm choosing to run things live in order to have more control, there are many reasons, but primarily a fresh virus free read only boot every time has obvious security benefits.  I need to use some Window's software, so Wine has been the choice to run it on Linux.  My first Windows program installs and runs fine (thank you), but when I  remaster using Remastersys Backup mode (not Distribution mode) the Windows app shows up in remaster, but fails to run live.  I went one more step and installed the remastered iso to the hard drive.  The system installs, but the wine app doesn't run.  I don't know if this is a Wine issue, Remastersys, the program itself issue, or some mix.

The Error Text (when trying to run it on the remaster DVD live):

> Window Title: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Window Text: Runtime Error!  Program:C:\Progr...
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate i in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I tried a work around.  I started the Live DVD with Wine installed fresh (no programs installed to Wine).  I tried to install the app and I got another error:

> Window Title: Setup Initialization Error
> Window Text: Setup has detected that unInstallShield is in use.  Please close unInstallShield and restart setup.  Error 432.

How can I install Windows programs on Remaster copy and successfully run them live?