[Wine] WineD3D installation issues

Gend0 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 22 03:34:19 CST 2012

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help on WineD3D, but as I am not using it for Virtualbox I thought it would be pretty useless to post on their forums.

Basically I want to use Wine to bypass the new DirectX 10's annoying 'feature' of software accelerating any programs that use DX8 or lower. I makes playing some older games either impossible or impossibly slow, even with software acceleration.

I downloaded WineD3D with the intention of installing the older DX8 adn DX7 binaries figuring DX to OGL translation would still be faster on a new Geforce than your modern quad core processor but cannot install it on W7 x64. I've ran safemode, and taken ownership/set access control enabled for all (including users) on the applicable dll files and ran as admin with UAC turned off and still I get the same problem. This has been attempted individually as well as as a group.

Error opening file for writing: C:\Windows\system32\(Insert DLL here)

Now assuming that the files has been locked by the OS to render the screen (Thats my best guess), what can I do to allow the files to be written?