[Wine] Re: Setting Virtual Memory For Wine Apps

winepunk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 27 15:37:40 CST 2012

Let me clearlify the whole situation.  I will include only relevant details I know.

The latest stable version of Wine 1.2 found in Mint repositories would allow me to install but not activate Manga Studio Debut 4.  Activation requires two things:  a code and Manga Studio cd detected in cd drive.  I had to go to Wine 1.3 to get the cd detected during the activation wizard.  I was then able to start the app fine with 1.3.

I remastered my distro at that point with Remastersys.  I burned and booted.  I was not able to start Manga Studio in a Live Session.  (I need to do this for security and proprietary reasons).

With some troubleshooting Live, I was able to install and activate and run when I used super user to install and run Manga Studio.  Realizing this worked, I remastered a new copy with Manga Studio installed as superuser.  I ran it live  and now Manga Studio launched.

What happened differently when I launched live was that only root was given the opportunity to change the virtual memory for the program (through a dialog).  I never got that warning as non-super user.  The program just exited with errors I've printed more than once in the previous discussion http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=14547&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=).

This has led me to think, if and only if it is Wine's virtual memory being adjusted, then I maybe I can do that for non-super user. So my question is, how to change the virtual memory for the non-admin user so program will start in Live Session?  Or, if not a virtual memory problem, what direction do I need to go in to trouble shoot more?

I'm also puzzled that the wiki tells me never to run wine as sudo, but I actually found a use for it.  A program was launched under Wine that otherwise would not launch Live!