[Wine] chkdsk in wine

etwineb wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jan 28 05:09:58 CST 2012

My external hard drive is formatted with NTFS. The linux support for NTFS is fairly good nowadays, but there is not a complete replacement for chkdsk (as far as I know).

So I was wondering: anyone could use chkdsk in wine? it is at least theoretically possible?

I tried the obvious: I copied from an old WinXP cd the files chkdsk.exe,  ifsutil.dll and ulib.dll. I symlinked the external drive in the dosdevices directory and started wine chkdsk e:.

Unfortunately it stops with an error like: impossible to open volume for direct access.

What can I try?