[Wine] Clicking image files will not auto open with irfanview.

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jun 13 18:39:25 CDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 17:55 -0500, skikir wrote:
> I'm running PCLinuxOS and have Irfanview set as my default image
> viewer.  When I click on an image file Irfanview opens properly but
> does not open the file as it does in Windows.  I have to manually
> navigate to the image location through Irfanview to open it.  I take a
> lot of pictures and have to crop, resize and adjust brightness and
> contrast a lot and Irfanview is my "go to first" viewing and editing
> tool because it is so fast, does so much and simple to use with just a
> few simple keyboard strokes.
>
> How can I get Irfanview to open the image when I double click it?

What usually do is:
1)write a wrapper script (call it 'irfanview') that:
  - sets WINEPREFIX for wherever you installed irfanview
  - changes directory to where the Irfanview EXE is installed
  - runs "wine Irfanview.exe $1
2)make the script executable and test it. The command
    irfanview imagename.jpg
  should run it
3)put the script somewhere safe that's in the search path
  (defined by $PATH)
4)now start your file manager (Nautilus if you're using Gnome or a
  Gnome-derived window manager) and configure it so your script
  is the preferred application for the image extensions you want to
  use Irfanview with. You do this in much the same way you would change
  file:program associations in Windows Exploder.

Martin