[Wine] Problem with Windows Java/Mathemaica under wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jun 18 05:04:38 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 03:34 -0500, David Bailey wrote:
> dimesio wrote:
> >
> > Yes. You should file a bug for that.
>

> I notice that most bugs relate to games, but if all bugs are taken
> seriously, I guess I could try to reduce it to something that simply
> runs the Windows version of Java in 64 bits.

Only do that if you are absolutely certain that Mathematica is
distributed with a standard, if old, JVM.

If Mathematica is stated to run with only the JVM distributed with it
the odds are quite high that either the JVM or the standard class
library has been modified. Backward compatibility has always been a
feature of Sun/Oracle JVMs and any software that is distributed for
general use as a Java JVM must pass the certification tests. This
includes OpenJava and the IBM JVM. Failure to pass certification was a
root cause of M$ losing the right to distribute Java. Also, it is a
design aim that a Java app should run with a more recent JRE version,
hence all the deprecated classes and methods that are still included in
the standard class library.

Martin